Op RESTORE: The Veterans Physical Health and Wellbeing Service
If you have Served in the Armed Forces and experience ongoing issues resulting from a physical injury caused by your time in Service, you can access specialist NHS support from Op RESTORE.
What is Op RESTORE?
Op RESTORE: The Veterans Physical Health and Wellbeing Service is an NHS service that supports individuals who have Served in, or are leaving the UK Armed Forces, and have continuing physical health injuries and related medical problems attributed to their time in the Armed Forces.
Op RESTORE works across the NHS with both Military and civilian medical professionals and Armed Forces charities.
How can Op RESTORE help?
Op RESTORE can help by:
- ensuring you can access the right care and support
- making sure you are treated by people who understand the Military
- putting together a care plan shaped around your needs
- working with Op COURAGE, should you need support for your mental health and wellbeing
- supporting you and your family to access help, where needed, from Armed Forces charities.
Who is Op RESTORE for?
Op RESTORE can help you if you:
- have Served at least one day in the UK Armed Forces (including the Reserves), or
- are soon to leave or in the process of leaving the UK Armed Forces
and you have:
- sustained a physical injury that is attributable to your time in Service, regardless of when that happened, and is causing ongoing medical problems.
How can I get help?
Op RESTORE can only accept GP referrals. If you think you would benefit from Op RESTORE, speak with your GP and ask them to refer you. If you are in the process of leaving the Armed Forces, speak with your Military GP.
What happens next?
Once your referral has been received, a support worker from one of Op RESTORE’s partner charities will get in touch – this usually takes about five working days.
Your support worker can help you to access any non-clinical support you need, talk through any concerns or questions you have, keep you updated as your referral is reviewed and help your family or carer access support if needed.
Op RESTORE’s team of professionals will review your referral and develop a care plan for you. This normally takes about eight weeks.
It may be that you are already receiving the most appropriate care. In this case, your GP will be informed that there is no change needed to your care. You will still be able to access wellbeing support if you need it.
Then what happens?
Once a plan has been agreed by a consultant, your GP will be informed and they will let you know what will happen next. Your support worker will stay in touch with you, providing further help for you and your family if you need it.
Op RESTORE wants to make sure that you are seen by a clinician with the right experience to treat you, so may refer you to other NHS services depending on your needs.
To find out more, visit: www.nhs.uk/oprestore